Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mmmmm!!! COOKIES!!


I have become completely, totally addicted to Reese's Minis the past year. I seriously go through withdrawls when I don't have any to snack on!! Soooo.... time to break my addiction AND test out some of the yummy looking cookies I have pinned!!

Since I am addicted to the peanut butter-chocolate goodness that are minis, I looked for a cookie that had both peanut butter and chocolate. I figured it wouldn't be any help if I included minis in the cookies-there are tons of yummy recipes that include minis or chopped up bits of regular sized reeses. Looking through the hundreds of dessert recipes I have pinned (I almost got sidetracked!! Almost started looking for MORE recipes to pin rather than actually trying one out!!), I decided to try Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies with Sea Salt from Recipe Girl. Here is the link to her recipe: http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/03/12/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-oatmeal-cookies-with-sea-salt/.

I couldn't follow the recipe exactly...
The is what I did to her recipe...  
PB-CC-PBC Oatmeal Cookies   ;-)

Ingredients:
 1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter flavored Crisco
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. I used a pizza stone instead of a cookie sheet-I love how cookies bake on stoneware! I placed the stone in the oven when I turned it on to preheat. I have found that heating up the stone first helps.
2. In medium bowl, mix flours, baking soda, and salt.
3. In large bowl, mix butter, peanut butter, and sugars with an electric mixer on medium. Add eggs one at a time. Then slowly add the dry ingredients from bowl until mixed.
4. Stir in oats. Stir in peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, and walnuts.
5. Drop the cookies by teaspoonful onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
6. Bake for 13 minutes. Cool for 1 minute, then remove from stone.
(See the note on baking time from the original recipe-13 minutes is what worked for me)
 I wanted to make them a little more nutritious, hence the wheat flour. I was going to add flax seed meal as part of the flour as well, but didn't want to change too much. I used Crisco instead of butter because I had some that needed to be used. I generally prefer butter in baked goods... Also-I only had old fashioned oats on hand-so that's what I used. I was going to use oat flour as well, but since I'd already swapped some of the flour, I didn't want to add oat flour...

I LOVE walnuts in cookies, that's why I added them. I think I should have added more than 1 cup. Also, I wanted to use peanut butter and chocolate chips, so I did one cup of each instead of 12 ounces of chocolate chips.

I sprinkled sea salt on the first two dozen cookies that I made. After that, I skipped the sea salt. I didn't think they were all that great with the sea salt. I thought they were just as good without...

Overall, the cookies were good. I think I was more in the mood for a more traditional oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough rather than a peanut butter cookie dough. I thought maybe there was too much going on-maybe that was because of all the modifications I made?? My kids didn't find ANY problems with them at all though, lol.
They were yummy, just didn't exactly match my mood!
One batch made approximately 52 cookies.
My son came home from college for a couple of days. Between him, the girls, their friends, and myself, the cookies were gone in about three days!! :-/  I'll take that "proof" as another success.
Maybe tomorrow I'll make some more cookies...
I'm dying for some Reeses right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment