Saturday, October 15, 2016

Mama's Chili Beans

I tried making chili beans from this recipe from "Creme de la Crumb"-it was okay...my husband liked it, but I thought it was quite bland. Plus when I actually make the effort to cook, I like to make it as difficult as possible for me. So I've started making it with dried beans rather than canned beans. And I've messed with the other ingredients a bit too-just to make it tastier. My new version of the chili gets rave reviews!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups dried beans (I use "chili bean mix" from winco)
2 tablespoons baking soda
6 cups water (estimate)

1 tsp salt
1 onion, diced

1 bell pepper, diced (red, yellow, or orange-I use whichever I have on hand)
2 teaspoons minced garlic (I use pre-minced in a jar, can use fresh-about 2 cloves)
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
3 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
1. Place beans and baking soda in a large pot.  Add water to 2-3 inches above beans, approximately 6 cups. Let soak (room temperature) for 6-8 hours.

2. Drain and rinse beans, then return to pot. Add salt and onion. Then add water to 1 inch above beans. Place on stove (with lid) on high and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook until beans are soft, approximately 1 1/2 hours. Stir every half hour or so and check on water levels-if water reduces too much (to level of beans, add more, about 1/2 cup at a time). If beans are nearly soft, but too liquidy, take lid off.

3.  Add bell pepper, garlic, bouillon, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, cumin, paprika, salt, and garlic powder. Raise from simmer to low-medium heat, and cook for 15-20 minutes. If flavors need a little more time, reduce back to a simmer at 15 minutes and simmer for another 15 minutes. Serve with shredded cheddar on top. Can also add sliced green onions and/or sour cream if you'd like.










No pix to post-always disappears too quickly!! I'll try to add some the next time I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment