Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mama's Famous Cookies



These are soooo good. All chocolatey, peanut buttery, walnuty. Mmmmm!!
I adapted this from a recipe on the back of a Ghirardelli chocolate chip bag ages ago.

 Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup butter (2 1/2 sticks) at room temperature
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teasppon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups oats (I prefer old fashioned, but quick oats work okay too)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. I always bake cookies on a pizza stone. I place it in the oven when I turn it on to preheat. That gets the stone the same temperature as the oven. It makes the cookies bake more evenly-when I used to make cookies on a baking sheet, they would always burn a little on the bottom. I never burn them when baking on a stone! I use the same stone throughout so that it is always hot. As you can see from the pictures, my stone is "well-loved"!
2. In a large bowl, cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, mix flours, flaxseed, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
4. Slowly mix flour mixture into creamed mixture (I use a handheld mixer on med-low). Stir in oats. Then fold in chips and nuts. 
5. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto stone. Bake 9 minutes (time will vary depending on what you bake them on. Nine minutes is perfect on my stone!)
6. Cool for about one minute then place on cooling rack. Store in tightly covered container.
Yield: approximately 46 cookies. Hard to count though... the kids and I sneak a few as they come out of the oven...

No comments:

Post a Comment